Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Quiet Steps

I was a pretty mischevious little kid. There were often times I would tip-toe by my parents, whether they were sleeping or in the other room, to do something I knew I would get in trouble for. I snuck cookies and candy, took peeks at Christmas presents, and did things they told me not to. As I got older, the behavior contiunued. I dated before age 16, took my sisters clothes, then lied about it, and even snuck out of my bedroom window in 8th grade.

I have come to realize two things about my behavior from those days:
1. It was always a poor attempt of self satisfaction.
2. It was an attempt to avoid trouble, but always resulted in consequences.

Early this fall, I was listening to my itunes when "Reasons Why" by Nickel Creek came on. I didn't know a song that I had heard over 100 times could rock my world like this one:

"Where am I today I wish that I knew. Because looking around there's no sign of you. I don't remember one jump or one leap, just quiet steps away from your lead." "With so much deception, its hard not to wander away..."

I quickly realized that the same quiet steps I used to avoid trouble when I was younger, were the same ones I was taking in my walk with the Lord. My life was full of sinful, deceitful behavior. Much of what I was doing was looking for fulfillment in things that I thought I wanted or needed. I was pursuing destructive relationships and behaviors that did not reflect the beliefs I stood for and the faith I claimed to have. I was constantly wondering why God refused to move in my life. I didn't even notice that I was the one moving; And might I add, in the wrong direction.

As I mentioned previously, I was a living, breathing version of Romans 1:

"For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools." v. 21-22

In this story, it wasn't Gomer, but I, that was the unfaithful wife running in the direction of sin.

To understand our need for redemptive love, it is imperative that each of us identifies the quiet steps in our lives. Any one step we are taking toward our own desires takes us one step away from the Lord. Being human, humility is not our strongest suit. However, if we are unable to humble ourselves enough to pin point our struggles, we will never truly understand what it means to be free from our sin.

As an encouragment, any one step we take toward our father and heavenly bridegroom, we are taking away from ourselves! As we change the path of our quiet steps and begin to move toward the Lord, he will move toward us! He will help carry our burdens, allowing us to overcome the sinful nature of our flesh. As you drink from the deep well of Scripture, the Lord will refresh you and cleanse you, mold you and re-create you through His Living Word. We, together, will be one quiet step closer to truly experiencing his redemptive love.

No comments:

Post a Comment