Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Journey: Discovering Redemptive Love

When looking to define a word, it is always important to go to the most "reliable" source you can find. Urban dictionary defines the word Gomer in the following (but not limited to) ways:

1. An unwelcome patient in a hospital (typically old and lacks the decency to die).
2. Someone who is a social reject
3. An idiot. Someone who is clumsy, ignorant, or caught in a blonde moment.
4. Someone who does something right, but in an odd way.

Until a few years ago, I had only heard the word being used as an insult in middle school, when my friends and I were being ridiculous. When you are 13, you aren't always aware how one small word or phrase can change your entire life.

In the Bible, we see that the word Gomer has an entirely different meaning. First of all, Gomer is a name. More importantly, the name belongs to a woman being pursued by the prophet Hosea. Regardless of her history as a prostitute, God asks Hosea to take this woman to be his wife. Gomer proceeds to flee from Hosea numerous times, leaving him to be with other men and solidifying herself as an unfaithful wife. The relationship Hosea has with Gomer is commonly used as a metaphor for the relationship between Israel and the Lord. What people, including myself, often fail to see is that it is also a picture of our personal relationship with the Lord.

I am Gomer. We all are. Whoring ourselves out to the next idol in our life with no regards to our Lord and Savior. We constantly run from him in every direction possible. This is exactly where I found myself just a short time ago.

The most beautiful part of the story of Hosea (and God with Israel) is that although his wife was unfaithful, he remained faithful because of the covenant he made to her through marriage. Fortunately for me, God does the same. I find it completely ridiculous that although I practically spit in God's face by the things I say, and do, he loves me just the same. In fact, he loves me SO much that he allowed me to turn away and run from him (Romans 1:18-32) until I reached my breaking point.

My desire for this blog is to share my brokenness with you. To have you journey with me in my discovery of true, redemptive love. As I seek healing, forgiveness, and share my story and heart, I hope to encourage Christians (especially women) in being vulnerable and transparent with each other. We all struggle. We are all whores and prostitutes, unworthy of the covenant Christ made to love us faithfully wherever we are running. Thankfully, none of us are alone.

My prayer for all of us in this journey of discovering redemptive love is put beautifully in the words of Francine Rivers, author of "Redeeming Love":

"Beloved, surrender wholeheartedly to Jesus Christ, who loves you. As you drink from the deep well of Scripture, the Lord will refresh you and cleanse you, mold you and re-create you through His Living Word. For the Bible is the very breath of God, giving life eternal to those who seek Him."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment